Sunday, September 16, 2012

Riley Weston Revisited

MEMPHIS TN (IFS) -- Riley Weston, that intriguing female voice that you hear on those KDTN Radio One station ID's is revisited in this article from a few years ago.

 Although this is Riley's first single, she is no stranger to the entertainment industry! When she was little she sang country with her first guitar. After years of thinking she wasn't supposed to sing country...she came back to where she started and couldn't be happier!

With her acting roles, movie scripts and an award-winning book, Riley is most excited about finally sharing her music. Below Riley talks about her first single, IF I SAID HOWDY TO YOU, as well as other upcoming songs off her debut album, SURRENDER LAUGHING.

"The title SURRENDER LAUGHING came to me one night when I finally realized, much to my dismay, that I know nothing. What a tremendously freeing and also funny moment! And I couldn't help but laugh. It's like we all, well...I'll only speak for myself... I have spent most of my life trying to control everything.

Anything.

Not just my life. Everyone else's too. For some crazy reason, we all think...ok, I think...that I somehow know better than the Power that created the Universe?! Not so much. So when I finally and literally threw my hands up in the air and surrendered, I had to laugh at the absurdity of it all. Me thinking I knew anything...

The song SURRENDER LAUGHING says basically there is always a plan, and there is always going to be a better day. BUT, we just have to trust God, or whatever higher Power you believe in. You have to know what you need is coming. You have to surrender, so you might as well do it laughing! Another favorite of mine is called I'M MORE TRASH THAN WHITE.

This song popped into my head as I was getting ready to go to bed. I was throwing on an old wife beater which, honestly, has no purpose being worn. To say it's threadbare is a compliment. Earlier that day I noticed both of my fav jeans were sporting holes in the patches covering up the first holes. I'll take a campfire and hanging out over any fancy party. I drive a truck and I've been known to throw out a few colorful words. :o) That said, I'M MORE TRASH THAN WHITE is simply a fun song.

DAYS LIKE THESE is another song that is about looking for hope and faith. The idea came to me during some not so attractive moments of darkness, personally, professionally, spiritually...you name it. All dark. As far as I was concerned, I couldn't see any light even if I was standing in direct sunlight. We've all had days like that, and unfortunately for some, a lot more than a day or two.

DAYS LIKE THESE says we've all been there and I think many people can and will relate to that. IF I SAID HOWDY TO YOU is the first single and also the first song I've ever written. The song is about a girl and a guy who have yet to meet. In the song, the girl asks the question, if they were in the same place at the same time, would the guy instinctively know it's her? Two more were recently written: LIES is a song about someone who has had her heart broken and been lied to for the last time.

She hears the final lie and as much as it's painful, she can now finally close a door to the past. The other tune is called FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG TIME, about a first date and all the exciting, nervous and anxiety-inducing feelings that go along with it." Riley has worked as an actress and writer on many TV shows, including the hit television drama, Felicity and the popular TV movie, What About Your Friends. Riley also wrote and starred in the highly rated ABC television movie, Christmas at Water’s Edge.

She has a supporting lead in the indie feature film, Footprints. She plays a disturbed girl in Hollywood who dresses up as Super Girl. The movie is being released in 2010. It premiered at the Starz Denver Film Festival. / Her debut novel, before i go, has received three awards: an IPPY Award for Story Teller of the Year, the Grand Prize at The New York Book Festival, as well as the top honor as Best Fiction. And lastly, she received a Book Sense Pick Award. / Riley is starring in the movie version of before i go, based on a script she wrote. The project is being developed now.

No comments:

Blog Archive