Jenni Rivera, big-voiced Queen of Banda, dies at 43
A 43-year-old mother of five children and grandmother of two, the woman known as the "Diva de la Banda" was known for her frank talk about her struggles to give a good life to her children despite a series of setbacks.
She was recently divorced from her third husband, was once detained at a Mexico City airport with tens of thousands of dollars in cash, and she publicly apologized after her brother assaulted a drunken fan who verbally attacked her in 2011.
Her openness about her personal troubles endeared her to millions in the US and Mexico.
"I am the same as the public, as my fans," she told The Associated Press in an interview last March.
Rivera sold 15 million records, and recently won two Billboard Mexican Music Awards: Female Artist of the Year and Banda Album of the Year for "Joyas prestadas: Banda." She was nominated for Latin Grammys in 2002, 2008 and 2011.
Transportation and Communications Minister Gerardo Ruiz Esparza said "everything points toward" the wreckage belonging to the plane carrying Rivera and six other people to Toluca, outside Mexico City, from Monterrey, where the singer had just given a concert.
"There is nothing recognizable, neither material nor human" in the wreckage found in the state of Nuevo Leon, Ruiz Esparza said. The impact was so powerful that the remains of the plane "are scattered over an area of 250 to 300 meters. It is almost unrecognizable."
- ► 2017 (111)
- ► 2015 (26)
- ► 2013 (45)
- Epic Records chairman/CEO Antonio "L.A." Reid quit...
- British singer Gary Barlow is closing his record l...
- Reflections on America’s Gun Culture
- A Tale of Two Immigrant Filmmakers by Ray Kouguell...
- U.S. adults reveals which celebrities Americans wo...
- Thai Employers charge Imported labors thousands of...
- Google's XPhone
- Marva Whitney, the R&B-funk singer who dies at age...
- Flora K. Walker - The Industrial Poineer of the St...
- Ke$ha's "Die Young" dropped from radio airplay
- Ann Curry to CNN??
- Rhonda Lee was fired from a Louisiana news station...
- Jenni Rivera, big-voiced Queen of Banda, dies at 4...
- Augusta Ada Byron-Lovelace, the world's first comp...
- Ed "Cass" Cassidy, World's Greatest and Oldest Roc...
- PSY's anti-American rap comes back to haunt
- ▼ December (16)
- ► 2010 (35)
- ► 2009 (14)